We are all becoming more environmentally conscious, and ultimately it is our world and our children that will benefit from our efforts. The work that the construction industry has dedicated to increasing its “green” capabilities has been phenomenal. We here at Selective Hauling continue to expand our recycling efforts to help our clients achieve LEED certification, so we were excited to see American Recycler examine some recent developments in construction and demolition recycling.
Unfortunately, according to American Recycler, many contractors still shy away from recycling their construction and demolition debris.
“Eddy Martinez, marketing director at A List Builders said construction and demolition material and debris recycling is currently a burden on contractors because it costs more, therefore they find that many companies don’t go out of their way to recycle unless it is a requirement.
… Martinez said that the main reasons for not recycling in projects where it is not a requirement are:
- Significantly higher price from regular roll-off dumpster services to comparable recycled roll-off dumpster services
- Shortage of dumpster companies that provide small recyclable dumpsters (most companies only provide 40 yard bins or 5 gallon bins for recycling, no in between sizes)
- Short duration of time allotted with dumpster (most dumpster companies only allow you to keep the dumpster one to two weeks before charging a daily limit, which limits the amount of time the dumpster can be used).”
We have been taking steps for the past several years to make recycling easier for our clients:
- Our recycling roll-off dumpster service fees are NOT significantly higher than our regular roll-off fees.
- To combat the lack of recycling dumpsters available, we will customize our service to match our clients’ recycling needs. For example, we recently finished a project in Washington, DC, where we built containers so that all trades could site-separate material depending on the phase of the project (wood, metal, cardboard, etc.), and we sent dump trucks and laborers to load and haul away each material when the containers were full. We also provided a roll-off dumpster with laborers every Saturday morning to load the container with drywall, and then hauled it to Pennsylvania to be recycled at USA Gypsum.
- We do not charge a daily fee for the dumpster until the 21stday!
Another advantage of using Selective is thatbecause we are not tied to specific facilities, so we can be flexible and haul to whatever facility makes the most fiscal, environmental, and efficient sense; therefore,we will always haul construction debris to the facility that works for our client. Quicker turnaround time allows us to service more dumpsters throughout the day, making us more reliable and available for our customers’ timing needs.
If you want metal recycled, we will not only take it to a nearby metal recycler, but we will also customize our pricing for these special loads – lowering the regular “price per dumpster” and splitting the proceeds; in some cases, we even credit 100% of the proceeds back to you. As stated above, we have hauled drywall to be recycled in Pennsylvania. We will also recycle concrete, co-mingled waste, and wood.
We will continue to increase our recycling efforts and are happy to help any client with a challenging LEED project. We believe this is the future of our industry, and we are proud to be a leader when it comes to keeping our environment clean.